Saturday, January 31, 2015

Why Ph.D s do not teach in slums

Over this long time of absence with me living on another plane of existance I saw something strange. The most educated people in our country which is arguably any Ph.D. holder never venture near slums.

The teachers of children in slums are mostly people out of a job. A few exceptions exist where the person is truly passionate about the esence of teaching. Watching the old serial of chanakya neeti I am reminded of a scene. A powerful man has just insulted Chanakya and once again he reached deep into his arsenal of knowledge and speaks.

"I am a teacher. In my lap and in my lap only does the future play. I hold bothe the power of progress and downfall of any nation for I influence the minds of tomorrow."

This led me to think. A single teacher in school, over a period of 10 years and while handling a class of approximateley 40 children influences 400 children (Give or take a few).We have a responsibility to provide the best teachers to the students at an age when they are most impressionable. In my opinion teachers required for lower classes must be equally if not more qualified than the ones in higher classes.

If this is not followed then it is easy to conclude that the teachers in higher institutions have to spend a lot of time undoing the damage done by lower classes.So back to the title. Why do Ph.D. s not teach in slums. The one place where only education can uplift the people is devoid of the people how that can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment